Friday, March 11, 2011

Twitterverse - Let's LOLsob at this.

There were a series of tweets that I came about 1/4 of the way into that turned into something that was full of head-desking fun-ness. I'm copying the tweets over so you can see the timeline. This would be ridiculous if it wasn't SO FREAKING TRUE!

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends gaming cannot be apolitical if you consider that the personal is political and you are donning the mantle of another person

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends feminism: it's at your d&d table

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay Yep, that's pretty much it exactly.

GeekyLyndsay
Chompy and I are on the way to dnd! Oh also my husband.

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay Have fun, Lyndsay and Chompy!

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends the husband got us into a big combat, we may all die

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay YAY party wipe in big combat! That'll teach you to let your husband do anything in the game.

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends I know right

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay this is why you have to think carefully before allowing men at the gaming table, they're very disruptive to the game

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends they make bad decisions based on emotion, rather than logic. Tsk

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay Exactly! Plus they are distracting at the game table and try to ply their masculine wiles against other gamers.

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends they're only at the table because they want attention, they aren't serious about the hobby like us women.

firestormink
@GeekyLyndsay @dazedsaveends Hey, I'm not like that! I mean, I'm just one of the gals, right?

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay Yeah, really. And they're all "so and so's husband" or "so and so's boyfriend" -- WORST when they're the DM's boyfriend!

GeekyLyndsay
@firestormink @dazedsaveends you're a special credit to your gender but you will never truly be one of us. Keep trying though.

dazedsaveends
#dnd tip: Ladies, having a hard time getting your boy to play a girly game like D&D? Get him a manly @dragonchow dice bag - boys like gifts

dazedsaveends
Women, check out http://bit.ly/fR1LGl - a great "gateway" gift for your non-gaming boyfriend! Boys are attracted by bright colors & letters.

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends and then they play a crappy fighter because it's easy and they don't have to care about it. men bring down the game.

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay I'm not saying all boys are bad gamers; I knew a few who could keep up with the women, but it just isn't natural for them.

firestormink
@GeekyLyndsay @dazedsaveends I usually get asked to play Healers. When I ask why I get told it's because my gender is nurturing and stuff.

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay Oh dear, is your tag-along husband playing a fighter? I give the boys a simple class like that so they don't get confused.

dazedsaveends
@firestormink @GeekyLyndsay Someone has to play the Healer, & you can use your fatherly instincts. Just don't bring your kid to the table!

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends and I mean, if men want to get into a hobby like this don't get all insulted by my sexual comments and advances

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends it's a compliment. Men need to get used to it, it's part of the hobby.

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay Yeah, it's not fair for the women to have to change the way we play just because some boys want to join in too.

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay There's a certain culture to gaming, and it's decidedly feminine. Boys are welcome as long as they don't upset things.

GeekyLyndsay
@firestormink @dazedsaveends look play a healer but don't get all fatherly on my tough fighter. She's not emotional like that.

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay One boy I played with got upset at all the chainmail codpiece jokes, but it's just gaming culture. We like guys! They're hot!!

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay Mmm, chainmail codpieces. That reminds me, know any artwork of sexy but still powerful male characters? So hard to find :(

firestormink
@GeekyLyndsay @dazedsaveends Totally. What's wrong with those dicks? I can take a joke. What me show off my approval of your actions!

dazedsaveends
There's nothing misandrist about liking chainmail codpieces. Male bodies are meant to be sexy! We can't help what we like, we're women.

dazedsaveends
I only like the tastefully done chainmail codpiece artwork, of course, not huge bulges. more than a handful/mouthful is a waste!!

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends I know, I love seeing sexy make characters but they cover up so much. Don't be a prude!

dazedsaveends
@firestormink @GeekyLyndsay I'm glad we have boys like you into gaming who can take a joke! also I bet you have a pretty penis.

dazedsaveends
There's nothing wrong with sexy chainmail codpieces. sure they're not realistic, but this is FANTASY gaming, right?

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay I'm going to write a book mocking all the sexist women gamers who ostricize boys. It'll be called "The Quintessential Boytoy."

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay My clever plan to mock misandric women will be to repeat sexist stereotypes about boy gamers & characters. WHAT A RIOT

GeekyLyndsay
@firestormink dick pics or get out, I know @dazedsaveends will back me on this LOL!!

dazedsaveends
@therobotviking It started when @GeekyLyndsay insisted on bringing her husband along to gaming. boys just usually don't fit in at RPG tables

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay @firestormink Let's think about this productively... how can we get more boys into gaming? without changing gaming of course.

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay The hard part of course is that gaming just doesn't appeal to boys. we can try anyway--maybe give them chocolate on crithits?

GeekyLyndsay
@dazedsaveends men change the dynamic of the table and don't get my sense of humor. It's just not how I game. This can't be my fault at all.

dazedsaveends
#dnd tip: Try to think about how to make your campaign appeal to boys too, not just women gamers. Maybe add more horses?

dazedsaveends
I guess when it comes down to it, gaming just doesn't offer anything for boys, being so women-centric. So why bother trying?

firestormink
@dazedsaveends @GeekyLyndsay Maybe we could, I don't know, maybe let me have a say in what's going on? Maybe offer an opinion? Ideas?

dazedsaveends
#dnd tip: Don't make all your male NPCs into shallow caricatures defined primarily by gender; they can be as interesting as the women NPCs!

dazedsaveends
@firestormink ... haha that's cute, but @GeekyLyndsay and I are trying to work this out. Don't you have to make me a sandwich or something?

dazedsaveends
Maybe we need more examples of strong male characters in chainmail codpieces. With long, broad swords. Mmmm. That'll get boys into gaming.

dazedsaveends
#dnd tip: Throw in roleplaying opportunities for male players, who usually aren't into the tactical combat as much as women gamers are.

firestormink
@dazedsaveends @GeekyLyndsay OT can I copy this down and post it on that blog thing I does?

dazedsaveends
@firestormink How cute, you have a little blog? Is it about boys in gaming?

dazedsaveends
@GeekyLyndsay I usually don't allow more than one boy at the table, because whenever you have two, they start catfighting for attention.

dazedsaveends
I do like that they hired @mikemearls to write his "Confessions of a Boy Gamer" column so that Dragon magazine isn't just a big beaver-fest.

firestormink
@dazedsaveends @GeekyLyndsay I do have a blog. I write about games and designing and writing. I talk about men and games all the time!

dazedsaveends
@firestormink It's such a good thing you're doing by being a boy gamer. Haha I keep getting you confused with the other boy gamer who blogs!

dazedsaveends
@firestormink I bet you get hit on all the time by the women you play with, haha

No comments:

Firestorm Ink's Fan Box